From Greg's personal site:
"Generally, I am interested in the mechanics, energetics, and control of terrestrial locomotion. For my doctoral dissertation studies I used powered exoskeletons as a tool to understand the contribution of ankle joint mechanical power to the metabolic cost of walking. The overall goal of my laboratory is to use biological principles to develop better lower-limb robotic devices to assist both healthy and impaired human locomotion (e.g. post-stroke).
My current research focus is on the mechanics and control of compliant muscle-tendon units (e.g. ankle plantarflexors). I use simple mathematical models to explore how elastic mechanisms can be exploited to allow for economical force production and optimal mechanical energy transfer during cyclic movements, particularly in the context of mechanical assistance from wearable robots (e.g. exoskeletons). Model predictions are then tested experimentally in (1) human Achilles' tendon-triceps surae in vivo during walking, running and hopping (using ultrasound) and (2) bullfrog plantaris muscle-tendon in vitro during simulated locomotion (using sonomicrometry)."
- Sawicki GS, "Exploiting elasticity: Modeling the influence of neural control on mechanics and energetics of ankle muscle-tendons during human hopping". J Theor Biol. Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print] (2014).
- Farris DJ, Sawicki GS, "Human medial gastrocnemius force-velocity behavior shifts with locomotion speed and gait". Proc Natl Acad of Sci USA. Jan 17, 109(3): 977-82. Epub Jan 4. (2012).
- Farris DJ, Sawicki GS, "The mechanics and energetics of human walking and running: a joint-level perspective". J R Soc Interface. Jan 7, 9(66): 110-8. Epub 2011 May 25. (2012).
- Wiggin MB, Collins SH, Sawicki GS, "An exoskeleton using controlled energy storage and release to aid ankle propulsion". Proceedings of the 12th Biannual International IEEE Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, June 29-July 1: (2011).
- Sawicki GS, Lewis CL, Ferris DP, "It pays to have a spring in your step". Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 37(3):130-8 (2009).
- Sawicki GS, Ferris DP, "Mechanics and energetics of level walking with powered ankle exoskeletons". J Exp Biol. 211(Pt 9):1402-1413 (2008).